1. Do you assert in deployed code?
Yes. For storage, corruption is much worse than system unavailability. Other products might have different tradeoffs.
Tintri hasn't had a data corruption issue at a customer yet. We have had a couple asserts fire.
2. How much time are you spending in California lately?
It's about a week a month, which is the goal for the long-term average.
3. If your current venture gets you to no-need-to-work-anymore what will you do?
Start another company, probably. Angel invest + advise locally. Work on programming projects.
4. How do you avoid getting lost in your work?
Set boundaries. Say "yes" when Marissa asks if I want to sit on the couch, eat ice cream, and watch "Invader Zim". I'm usually reading one or two books at any given time. Social networking. Computer games. There's a lot of goofing off that goes into working hard.
5. Hmm, everything else that comes to mind is probably more personal than I am willing to ask. A softball, then, do you eat smelt?
Yes, but only in its egg form.